Saturday July 31, 2016
I had a great week, 1:1 conversations with inspired teachers, unit reviews of new courses, and I even attended a Design Thinking Lab hosted by Ryan M! So why did I wake up Saturday morning to look at survey data showing dissatisfaction with Curriculum at AISC, because I am interested in improvement. Don' get me wrong, there was much to celebrate in the survey, over 95% satisfaction level with the quality of teaching. Also, satisfaction of the level of academic expectations is also across sections, high 90%'s. However there are also some data points to ponder from the results of the 2015-16 AISC Faculty Climate Survey:
How satisfied are you with the ES/MS/HS curricula for students?
How satisfied are you with how the curriculum is articulated across grades & subjects through the curricular program outcomes and standards?
How satisfied are you with the AISC curriculum review process?
How satisfied are you with the distribution of student performance data to effectively differentiate instruction?
How satisfied are you with the use of student performance data...to identify potential gaps in the curriculum?
I had a great week, 1:1 conversations with inspired teachers, unit reviews of new courses, and I even attended a Design Thinking Lab hosted by Ryan M! So why did I wake up Saturday morning to look at survey data showing dissatisfaction with Curriculum at AISC, because I am interested in improvement. Don' get me wrong, there was much to celebrate in the survey, over 95% satisfaction level with the quality of teaching. Also, satisfaction of the level of academic expectations is also across sections, high 90%'s. However there are also some data points to ponder from the results of the 2015-16 AISC Faculty Climate Survey:
How satisfied are you with the ES/MS/HS curricula for students?
- ES--83%
- MS--97%
- HS--67%
How satisfied are you with how the curriculum is articulated across grades & subjects through the curricular program outcomes and standards?
- ES--73%
- MS--81%
- HS--58%
How satisfied are you with the AISC curriculum review process?
- ES--88%
- MS--91%
- HS--76%
How satisfied are you with the distribution of student performance data to effectively differentiate instruction?
- ES--81%
- MS--91%
- HS--74%
How satisfied are you with the use of student performance data...to identify potential gaps in the curriculum?
- ES--73%
- MS--75%
- HS--63%
So I know I have some work to do! My goal would be to see over 85% reporting satisfaction in all the areas of the school. But in order to do this, what is the first area to tackle? So again what is the problem? Unfortunately I don't have an answer that is not speculation. I wish the questions were area specific, Language Arts, Math, Science...perhaps it can be next year. In the meantime, I need to start by asking questions with how teachers can be more satisfied with the curricula and standards.
I hope some early conversation will provide some early insight. Let me know your thoughts.
- Is the curricula changing too often?
- Is the curricula not changing fast enough?
- Is better curriculum they wish they had?
I hope some early conversation will provide some early insight. Let me know your thoughts.
All the best,
Dan
No comments:
Post a Comment